Thursday, August 30, 2012

Butterfinger Cake


I’m on a cake kick lately. 

More specifically, a cake + frosting kick.

Oh, but don’t make it too difficult or time consuming.  I want my cake now.

As a result, I’ve been Google-stalking cake recipes.  Recently I saw a picture of a great looking cake online.  I’m told it’s called “Better than Sex” cake.  Go ahead, Google it.  Just make sure you type the phrase out completely before hitting enter.  Don’t ask me how I know that. 

The more G-rated version is apparently called “Better than Anything” cake.  A bit more church potluck friendly.  Somehow upon reviewing these recipes I slipped even further down the internet rabbit hole and came across something else – Butterfinger Cake.  This cake has a similar preparation method to the Better than Anything cake and somehow passes my husband’s “chocolate hater” test.  So I went for it.

How easy is this cake?  I was sort of skeptical at first but it came out great.  This is definitely a pot luck/bbq type of cake and is sure to be a crowd pleaser.  It’s dense and ooey gooey. 

First, you bake a cake from a yellow boxed cake mix.  Just follow the instructions.  Or if you’re like me and don’t follow instructions for anything, use 3 eggs, ½ cup melted butter, 2/3 cup water.  I got that tip from food network and I like what that ingredient combo does for boxed cake mixes.  I also don’t like a cake box telling me what to do.  I have issues.




Then, poke a bunch of holes in the cake while it’s still warm.  Pour on some sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce.  No big deal.
 
Don’t worry about how it looks right now.  Why?  Because we are going to smother the whole thing in a coolwhip and butterfinger sandwich.   The recipe I found called for 3 butterfinger candy bars.  I bought a bag instead.  Oops.


Sprinkle some chopped butterfinger bars on the cake.  Then spread with the coolwhip.  Then add more butterfingers.  See?  Good as new.  Now let this chill out for awhile in the fridge so all the flavors can mellow.  Make sure you have milk on hand for this one!
 Click here for the recipe I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment