Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Almond Joy Cookies



Drive-by post here.  The last few weeks have been crazy!  I work in Higher Education and this is the storm before the calm so to speak.  After Thanksgiving (hi, next week), things slowly start to die down and the entire University sleeps at the end of December.  And then I get 10 days off. (I’m bragging)  In a row. (really bragging)  I love where I work! OK, I'll stop now.

Last weekend I got to visit with my Stepbrother and Sister in-law.  We had a blast!  And you know I couldn’t have company without doing some baking.  I also made pulled pork barbecue in the crockpot. (I have to post that recipe sometime)  I love having extra mouths to feed!  

I was craving coconut so I whipped up some of the best cookie dough and added in coconut, sliced almonds, and milk chocolate chips – all the yummy ingredients found in one of my favorite candy bars – Almond Joy.  Needless to say, they were a hit.  Soft, chewy, and decadent - grab a glass of milk and let's get started.

Just use the basic recipe and throw in the good stuff.







How much coconut?  Almonds?  Chocolate Chips?  As much as you want.   Don't measure.  Think along the lines of balance.  What's your dough to add-in ratio preference?  I like my dough to be the glue that barely holds everything together -- it should be jam-packed with what ever I throw in.  There is no wrong way to make these cookies! 

Now in terms of how long to bake - another important part of baking is learning visual cues.  Cookies should be underbaked slightly and allowed to finish baking outside of the oven on the cookie sheet.  A few minutes later, you want to transfer them to a cooling rack.  They should look like this -  pale, soft, just browning around the edges.  When you pull them from the oven you won't think they're quite done - but they are.  Perfection.




Click here for the original dough recipe. Have you made any cookies lately?




No comments:

Post a Comment